Most of you know (unless you've been living under a rock for the past 9 days) that I have been really sick lately. It all started about 2 weeks ago. I woke up one morning with a terrible headache. I thought maybe I was dehydrated or something to brought a water bottle to school with me and nothing seemed to help. It lasted for about 5 days and it made me very tired so when I would get home from school I would take long naps. I thought maybe I needed glasses so my mom set up an appointment for me. The day of the appointment came and I felt fine, everything was back to normal. I was so relieved. Two days went by and my throat became sore. I thought it was a common cold of some sort and that I could flush it out of my system by constantly drinking water. By the second day with a sore throat drinking water became unbearable. I was restless and in more pain than I think I have ever been. I stumbled into my family room where my dad was peacefully watching football and asked for a blessing. I could talk a little still, just enough that he could understand what I was saying after a few times saying it. The next morning I went to the doctors where they did a strep test. If the test was positive they could prescribe me some antibiotics and I would be better within a day or two. When the strep test was negative, the nurse suggested I see one of the doctors ASAP. The doctor told me I had tonsillitis and possibly Mononucleosis.(Mono) Because my sore throat had only started three days earlier he said that if I did a blood test that day, the lab workers would not be able to catch what was wrong yet. Keep in mind, this is Friday and I am in so much pain that I can't talk, eat, swallow, barely breathe, etc. I thought to myself there was no way I could make it a few more days to have a blood test done. I went home Friday and slept, and slept... and slept. Rest is the best treatment for mono. Saturday I woke up in even more pain than the day before. My throat was almost swollen closed. It was hard to sleep because of the little amounts of air going into my system. Sunday, even worse. Monday, THE worst. I woke up and went to my doctors appointment to have my blood test done for Mono. I walked in and did the usual weight, height, temperature, blood pressure thing but this time when I stepped on the scale it read 7lbs less than it had three days earlier. That was scary. After I had my blood taken, a different doctor came in to talk to me, well my mom since I couldn't talk at this point. She wanted to do another strep test just to make sure. She wasn't very nice about it either :( my tonsils are swollen and huge and she just sticks her little cotton swab right on down there! Geez. I don't know why that made me so mad. After she did that she said the results for both the tests would be back in about 20 minutes. I was so tired, I fell asleep on one of those paper bed things in the rooms. I woke up to a knock at the door where the doctor came in and told me that the strep test was once again negative and the mono test was.. positive. To most people it would be a relief to know what they have but for me it was different. Mono is a Virus. Doctors can't prescribe antibiotics for Viruses, only bacteria. My heart sunk a little as I realized I would have to just wait everything out. I went home discouraged knowing all I could do was sleep. I slept most of the day and tried to eat/drink something, anything. I didn't like feeling hungry all the time and that sharp pain and cringe that was sent through my body every time I would swallow. I couldn't do it. I think I went about 5 days without food. I did drink some apple juice and have a strawberry popsicle but really that was nothing. Tuesday was no different. I wasn't getting any better. Wednesday I woke up in a horrible situation. Sorry if this is too much information.. but I woke up with my mouth completely bone dry. I couldn't even put my tongue into my mouth. I went into the bathroom and looked in the mirror to find that while I was sleeping my lips had become so dry that they cracked and bled everywhere. There was dry blood on my teeth, tongue and lips. That was painful. I tried to swish some water around to get everything wet again. After I did that, I brushed my teeth and as I was brushing, the cuts on my lips reopened right as my mom looked in. Of course that was scary for her because all she could see what bright red blood coming from my mouth and I couldn't tell her what was wrong. I didn't want her to freak out so I had to just close the door and deal with it for a minute alone. When I opened the door again my mom was standing there with some mouthwash that my doctor had prescribed. It was suppose to make my throat numb for a few hours. It looked like pepto bismol. I wasn't putting that in my mouth! Ew. I finally did and it was disgusting and of course it did nothing for me. I went to take a bath to try and relax a little bit. My mom went to get her hair done in my sisters new salon. While she was gone my doctor called her and said she had some steroids I could take. My mom text me and let me know. I was soo happy to hear that. She got home and pulled out your typical orange pill bottle. In my moms hand she held two tiny green pills. I shook the pill bottle and shook my head as to why there were only too. She said they would work. I gotta admit, with the size of these things I thought there was no way they were going to do anything for me. I had to crush them up and put them with food. Pills, more like poison. They were gross too. I ate them anyway and took a 4 hour nap. I woke up and to my surprise.. THOSE WERE MAGICAL PILLS. I'm not kidding, I woke up and swallowed, I talked, I COULD BREATHE!! I was soo happy!! After 9 days of.. I don't even know what to call it.... terribleness I was going to be okay. I was full of energy that night, which was a side effect of the steroids which were called Dexamethasone. (lol) I woke up this morning feeling like Ashley again, most amazing feeling ever :)
While I was home and missed 6 days of school my mom was by me every step of the way. She did EVERYTHING for me. I bet it was really annoying that I couldn't talk back.. but now I'm all better!! Thank you for being the best mommy ever!
Thank you to my whole family who has been there too, making me laugh and smile through all of this.
Thank you to my amazing friends who came to visit me, that was so sweet of you guys <3
Thank you Stephanie for checking in on me every few hours to make sure I wasn't dead! :)
Thank you to my awesome seminary class who made me the coolest card ever!!
Thanks to my boyfrined who is 600 miles away but still made me laugh and smile with silly pictures and cute messages :)
Thank you all for being so awesome and loving, I'm going to live!!! :)
No comments:
Post a Comment